he knew he had faltered. as close friends they often shared everything candidly, but this was different. the news would undoubtedly carry devastating effects. he held a policy of honesty that he was now forced to think of breaking.
he thought of remaining silent, but feared the possibility of her independent discovery, the consequence of which would be far greater than his original act. knowing their friendship could be at stake, and realizing that was too high a price to pay, he worked through his fear and told her.
the news was devastating enough regardless of where she heard it. he did not expect forgiveness right away, but he hoped that because he chose to tell her, it would make a difference. he lost her anyway. had he not said anything, she might never have discovered, and their friendship would appear unharmed.
his moral dilemma: should he have just lied?
7 comments:
Rae,
I have been there and seen other people go thru the same. As hard as it is, I think it is generally better to go with the truth. A true friendship will survive it in the long run.
Truth? What is truth?
The truth will set you free. I have to agree with B, a strong friendship can survive the occasional mistake, no matter how grave, as long as it's not life-threatening.
P.S.: Appreciated the kind words. Looking forward to meeting you.
As much as I agree with going with the truth, we are still humans with emotions. A true freindship has no guarantee of surviving certain things. Some things just changes the very nature of the relationship one has with an induvidual. At the same time best to let the person find out from you than somewhere else. I have learned that there is no such thing as a secret, just a fact waiting to be revealed, and in time it will be no matter what you do.
Now we getting somewhere. Not many persons are able to act on absolute virtue. It usually ends up being an internal battle (self preservation vs right thing to do). If telling the truth seriously risks the friendship, who rushes in quickly? So many factors impact on that decision.
I ain't fronting. I keep quiet until I find a nice way of doing it....usually is no nice way and I end up biting the bullet perhaps days or weeks after I should have. Sometimes I distance myself from the emotion and say it plain. It gets done on-time but I'm called all sorts of cruel names and sometimes I get hit/attacked. Who wants that?!
It is a tough decision, and I dont think either decision is wrong...speak the truth and ease your conscience, get it out in the open, not wrong. Withhold the truth with the knowledge that the action will never ever be repeated, and avoiding hurting your friend unnecessarily, not wrong. Tough call. Not sure what I would do..depends on how close we are, on what was done.
I have been told something that hurts, and if I were to do it again, I would still want to know (note: I am not masochistic). Not knowing often gives false impressions, and the longer it takes, the deeper the pain, esp. where emtions are concerned. Still, it up to each person to do what they feel is right...
Post a Comment