I always sit and watch as the excitement builds among those just talking about it. The beauty that is cricket is so much a part of West Indian culture that is it a shame some do not appreciate its intricacies. I am one of those.
Not for lack of exposure, for my father is an avid fan and many Saturday mornings were spent briefly beside him on the bed, his eyes glued to the set. The sitting and waiting did not excite me. I never accompanied him to games. I never wanted to.
As a member of a country with an active cricket team, I am as much a part of it as any other fan. Unfortunately however, it is not a part of me.
2 comments:
Cricket is a part of a culture that is a part of us, but not necessarily something of our fancy. One just needs to be able to appreciate it for what it is, respect it, and leave it at that.
Or one could try to understand it and embrace that part of their culture. But like any sport or any cultural activity, not everyone will enjoy. And that's perfectly OK.
Post a Comment