Tuesday, December 23, 2008

the love story

The longer I stay on the this earth the more I am convinced that love is a choice. Maybe not consciously when we have that initial spark of attraction, but definitely the perpetuation of it. I have had feelings of what I regard as intense love be replaced with something weaker because of a re-conditioning of my mind. I have also had feelings of love for a situation or person that was created in my mind but did not exist in actuality. If I can do that, then I can love practically anyone. The reality of the situation simply is that I don't want to.

There are certain characteristics that draw me, and I respond in like manner by dwelling on them. I think that what happens when I see these traits coming out in someone is a sparking of my mind to tell the rest of me that I love this experience. I love it, and I want more of it. And the more I indulge myself in the presence of the traits I love, the more I embody and thus love the person from which the traits flow. Now I may be the one who chooses the traits, but what I can't choose is who will have them.

Whose characteristics have you chosen to love? Can you love them all?

No comments: