Friday, April 15, 2005

empty

Stifled, my potential locked away, fighting to be expressed. I am left only to listen, watch and yearn, more than I thought possible. I long to be there, to hear the sounds, to feel the beat rock my core, to see the lights and absorb the rush and excitement that flows with their brightening, to experience the anticipation and then absolute gratitude of the audience.

I can feel my sticks in my hands as they float weightlessly from note to note, releasing upon contact sweet sounds that merge in harmony with others unleashed simultaneously. I can hear the shouts of those around me as the intensity of our excitement causes us to move in synchrony, unifying our individual love for the music into one stream of exhilaration, radiating to those who watch.

I can see the canvas that is the stage waiting for expression of a message through music, mood and motion. I feel the air moving against me as I release myself to the rhythms, emotionally executing the choreography in its entirety. I hear the resounding response of an audience fully comprehending as they watch the dance unfurl before them.

now... separation has forced a new fate. the sticks have stopped, the movement has faded, the crowd is silent, the lights are out, the air is still, and my stage is empty.

3 comments:

Bashmentbasses said...

I can feel your pain. I took a break from pan to facilitate Smoker and some studies. Smoker practice found me snooping around the panyard when we practised at the Union. Eventually for my own sanity I had to come back to pan. Ppl at pan seemed content but not vibzed, so I had to make my own. It took an infusion of new songs but I have got it. I am pleased to report that I am now leaving pan with a sweat soaked shirt on many practice days. I working on improving those numbers, but things are looking up.

Anonymous said...

I know your pain. Its amazing just how much i understand exactly what you are talking about. But then I suspect that music will do that to any group of people

Anonymous said...

Oh so touching. I felt your pain, it made me cry. Soon you will be back, sticks in hand, dancing to the beat, the audience enjoying.