Wednesday, September 10, 2008

timely decisions

I had a friend tell me once after I revealed to her my interest in a certain young man that she thought we were perfect for each other, but not now. The concept of that was interesting to me. She thought we were the type that would grow old together, but that we'd spoil it if we got together too soon. I can't say if she was right or wrong, but I can say that, great as the relationship was, it suffered from a series of ill-timed events.

I'm indecisive when I'm ready, often tossing two or more ideas around like a juggler at a circus for a great length of time before I grab one and finally let the others fall. I've realized that with all my juggling matches the ball of time is a choice all on its own: I can do one thing, another thing, or nothing and wait it out.

We're always afraid of that last one, and even forget that it exists as a choice, because we never know when waiting it out means watching the opportunity completely pass us by. On the other hand, we never know if we're spoiling a great thing by grabbing after it sooner than its time.

No comments: