Thursday, June 23, 2011

whats with all the planning?

There's something about concert that I really love. The playing, yes, but also the planning and the final execution. I gave it up this year because I was warned and chastised that it's not possible to lead in both areas, not concert and band at the same time. So I didn't. But whereas I love leading the band, my special spot on the exec is with the finances, and my favourite spot to lead is with the concert. But why?

It is very possible that what I like is event planning in general... but I honestly don't feel the same level of excitement for random events. Planning a show... now that's the good stuff. Any show? Not sure yet. I've done a few church shows, those were fun... but the scale of something like a Panfest... well, can't compare. The product is also so unique, that I just love to work with it. Why not promote the instrument I love to play! It's an awesome combination.

I didn't plan this year. I probably won't get to plan next year either, but we'll see. I do have an opportunity to plan something else for the stage though... and while it initially seemed exciting, I'm also very scared to take it on. There's a big difference between working with a group like a club and working with hired help, and that is the difference between mildly freaking and having a hernia. Am I up for it? Lord knows.

1 comment:

Neer said...

am sure, you are!! i love to plan, however, gradiose it may sound... its all in the planning, the details! :) esp, theres something about live performances.

longg time, indeed! love to see you! :)