Tuesday, November 10, 2009

yes, I'm single

It's official that when you hit a certain age range, the stage of your life changes. Gone are the days when your friends are the closest thing ever and you did every daily thing together. Now, people want their own space and they want only certain people in it. For those seeking a family, more often than not, that space is room enough for one. In this stage, solid friendships remain solid when that space is recognized, acknowledged and freely given without tension or pressure. Family is the order of the day.

For the single lot of us, what does all this mean? Today I realized it means I am the person who cares the most about me. I too have a focus on family, but for now that stability is only acquired from the people I grew up with: my parents and siblings. Being single isn't some disease that needs running away from, but it comes with it's own set of challenges. My family, bless their hearts, will still remain the people on the ground to really care on a daily basis till someone else gets the job. That aspect of tribal culture has not really changed after all these years. When we forcibly remove ourselves from their eyes, that basically means we run the show all on our own... a liberating yet sometimes lonely road. I'm somewhere in between both of those. I run the show on my own till I can't really manage, and then go grasping for help... and in real time, that type of dependability can only be expected from my family.

Yes, I'm single. Thanks for the reminder.

No comments: