Friday, October 30, 2009

blame the gadgets

All in a group,
one on her phone,
talking away
to one far away
the rest of us,
being courteous,
have blocked it out
conversation and all,
until the one on the phone
is done with her call
and joins the group again.

These outbursts of speech to people unseen
occur so often that now I appear mean...
as when people erupt in conversation
I tend to have already blocked them out.
Never mind that you were half way done
telling me all about your weekend fun
I assumed it was more of the same,
you on your cellie...
unless of course, you called my name.

It's an adjustment of the times,
a consequence of being 'gadgetized',
so don't take it personal when I block you out,
it's a reflex action my body clearly thought
I could no longer live without.

No comments: