---
My friend and I were walking one day, our regular/usual route that we take as our bonding time, and we noticed a track that we hadn't noticed before. Strange. We decided to be adventurous and check this track out, only to find it pretty treacherous... we couldn't always see where we were going, and it had a lot of little slippery parts that made it dangerous but... well, it was also kind of exciting too. We decided that we'll start using the track in our route from now on because not only is the journey more fun, it also increases our bonding as we must depend on each other on the dangerous road.
Only that after many journeys on the track, our increasing dependency started to become an issue and we figured it would be better to try and be more independent on the route. This added another element of excitement for each of us but also added a bit of confusion, which we each glossed over initially as trivial. None wished to ruin the experience of the other person with nagging questions. 'Do I ask for help now if I need it?'; 'Am I imposing if I actually don't want to go it on my own today?'; 'What happens when you master one part faster than me and go ahead, do I call to you to wait?' went unasked and unanswered. The whole thing became more individualistic, and even more emotionally draining but no one wanted to admit any of it. Each preferred to try and give the impression of a great time by their silence.
---
Sounds like confusion right?
I think that adults have a knack for complicating things that do not need to be complicated. Something as simple as taking a walk together became a complicated mess because of the insistence on changing what originally worked, and then trying desperately not to change the experience of it though the circumstances were different. Instead the outcome was a reminder that we are completely unable to control life, and pretending that something does not exist does not make it go away.
The solution I believe lies in just going back to the simple route, with the simple purpose of just spending uncomplicated time together... only that the adult mind is also not great at mastering simplicity in a situation in which complications have already been injected.
1 comment:
It's the apple in the garden all over again. Was paradise really so bad?
Post a Comment