your first small step gives feelings of warmth and excitement and you are compelled to go further. as you move forward she envelopes you, pulling you in with each wave. soon you find yourself completely submerged in her sea of emotion, in awe at the wonderful new world that surrounds you. its beauty has you captivated and, completely immersed and disconnected from the surface, you swim content to lose yourself in her, blinded by her.
then, all of a sudden, she lets go of you.
you realize all at once that you are alone and must surface, but have travelled too deep to make a return journey. wonder and excitement is replaced with panic, fear and sadness. you are drowning. you manage to compose yourself and, barely surviving, lay dormant. the passage of time allows your body to drift naturally toward the surface. the movement is slow and passive and you feel almost stagnant, too heavy to rise. will it ever end?
after what feels like an eternity, completely unexpectedly and without force or effort, something happens. you are disoriented but only for a second, when in pleasant amazement you realize you have let go of her.
in an instant you are catapulted to the surface and you instinctively draw that breath of fresh new air. for the first time in forever, you remember what it was like to be free. the weight of her is lifted and a new sense of relief and excitement overflows within you. your eyes behold the beauty you once knew and things seem all the more wonderful and brilliantly clear. the experience of her has past and will remain only in memory, for undiscovered journeys wait in expectation as you step anew upon the sand and walk toward the sun.
5 comments:
I'm guessing you are talking about diving.!? If so, I'm lost at the near drowning part and waiting to float to the surface. Is that how diving is done? You too deep for me. But great work non-the-less.
This post is up for open interpretation. Obviously I had something specific in mind when I wrote it, but I love (and prefer) that the readers allow their imaginations to soar and form their own opinions. So far, interpretations include diving and the complicated but successful birth of a new born. If your mind's eye sees something else, feel free to post it.
Hey Rae,
I got here thru Hayden's blog (he had the address in his MSN name). This is some deep stuff, girl. When I read this post it says heartbreak to me, from those first feelings of infatuation until you finally get over it and break free to start living again.
I also read the stench of heartbreak mixed deep within the waves of life. But I didn't think it was just talking about heartbreak, but also talking about all of life's challenges as well. It's been a while since I have read such deep thoughts from u, Rae. Nice.
Very nice Rae, I like it. To me 'she' is life..early on youre seeing the world as if your parents are showing you, so it looks all rosy, then when your parents let you go to be on your own you realize life is much harder and complicated than when you were a child...but eventually you learn to take control of your life, rather than let life control you. Thats how I see it :)
Post a Comment