Saturday, October 29, 2005

a snow white reunion

Stacie was my best friend at the time. I was constantly over her house, playing with her and her cat. When the cat had kittens, I wanted one as much as she wanted to give me one, but mom said no. All my begging and pleading could not persuade her.

It was October and we were persistent. In a final attempt to have a kitten, Stacie gave me one as a gift for my birthday. Mom couldn’t refuse.

Her tiny body was covered in white fur from ear to tail, earning her the name 'Snow White'. She was however, no damsel in distress. She scratched after everything that moved, including toes and feet; found the couch useful for massaging her claws; and was our resident lizard-eradicator. She was my lesson in responsibility and, given the nature in which she arrived, I had no choice but to shoulder it.

Before long she became ‘our’ cat. She stayed with us for many years.

Her constant production of kittens was a problem, for others more than for me. I wanted her spaded. Mom chose to give her away. We kept one male cat from her last litter and when he no longer needed a mother, we placed her in a box and drove her many miles to her new home. I knew the family well, and though I was upset at her leaving, I knew she would be in good hands.

I had heard that dogs have owners and cats have homes, but those words never sank in till I saw my cat standing at the door a few days later. How she found the house, I will never know, I was only too happy to see her.

4 comments:

bassChocolate said...

I love cats. Dad thinks they are "tiefing brut"s. Never owned one for that reason. But pets in general do these things to make you fall in love. I love animals.

The Seeker said...

Cats rule!!!!

Rae said...

The male cat we kept (Spot) turned out to be a tiefing brute yes, but he never got it from his mother. She was a very good cat.

Bashmentbasses said...

Cats are the bomb. I am owned by 5 of them at the moment.